Working And Studying Part-Time: Can I Deduct My Course Fees?

Binding Nominations: Make Sure Your Super Passes Into The Right Hands
24 May, 2019
Is An SMSF Corporate Trustee Worth The Extra Expense?
31 May, 2019
Show all

Working And Studying Part-Time: Can I Deduct My Course Fees?

Planning on going “back to school”? The costs can really add up, but the good news is that your course fees may be deductible if the course is sufficiently related to your current employment. In this first instalment of a two-part series, we explain when you can deduct your tuition fees for work-related education. Our second instalment will look at other expenses like textbooks, computers and travel.

The first step is to work out whether the course you’re studying entitles you to claim self-education deductions. The course must lead to a formal qualification from a school, college, university or other educational institution. Courses offered by professional associations (as well as other work-related seminars, workshops and conferences) generally don’t come under “self-education” for tax return purposes, but these course fees will often be deductible as “other work-related expenses” in a separate part of your tax return. Your tax adviser can help you determine how to claim these.

Second, there must be a sufficient connection between your formal course of study and your current income-earning activities. This means the course must either maintain or improve the skills or knowledge you need for your current employment, or result in (or be likely to result in) an increase in your income from your current employment.

However, the ATO says it’s not sufficient if a course is only generally related to your job, or if it will help you to get employment or get new employment.

If your course has the necessary connection to your current work as explained above, you can deduct course fees that are funded under the government’s “FEE-HELP” or “VET FEE-HELP” loan programs. However, you can’t deduct course fees funded under the “HECS-HELP” program, nor can you deduct any repayments you make under any government loan scheme.

If you’re paying course fees yourself without any government assistance, you can claim a deduction and you can also claim the interest expenses on any loan you’ve privately taken out to finance this.

In many cases, taxpayers are required to reduce their total claim for self-education expenses by $250. This depends on what other self-education expenses you incur in the financial year. Your tax adviser can perform the necessary calculations to finalise your claim.

Tertiary course fees can involve some large deductions. Talk to us today for expert advice on your eligibility and to ensure your claim will stand up to ATO scrutiny.